Tenuta di Arceno has been a center for winemaking and agriculture for more than a thousand years. The estate is located near the fork of two rivers: the Ambra, which flows to Florence, and the Ombrone, which flows to the Mediterranean. In ancient times this area was a nexus of the Etruscan civilization. In honor of its history, the name Arceno comes from the Etruscan word Archè, meaning "point of origin".
The Tenuta di Arceno estate eventually made its way into the hands of two historically prominent and well-respected Italian families – the Del Taja and Piccolomini families. The Del Taja family began purchasing the land parcel by parcel in 1504, expanding the estate and adding architectural improvements. In 1829 the Del Taja family sold the property to the Piccolominis, one of the most illustrious families of Siena, who created the splendid romantic gardens, lake, and outdoor structures that still stand today. Continuing its history of family ownership, Tenuta di Arceno was acquired by Jess Jackson and Barbara Banke in 1994.